Thursday, December 15, 2011

Why do some buffets have service charge?

Isn't the whole point of a buffet that you get up off your phat *** and get the food yourself, no outside service needed?|||There is still a service element - they put the food there, oragnise the plates, wash the plates. Still, it isn't really very good, I don't tend to pay it.|||For the use of the crockery and the staff needed to set it up.|||Some people can't see the forest for the trees....





When you eat at a buffet, your food is already prepared. No waiting 10-30 minutes for an entree to show up. Sure, you have to get the food yourself, but would you rather wait all that time to eat than get your food immediately and start digging in?





As for the service charge issue, are you saying that you retrieved EVERYTHING yourself? Your drinks, too? How about napkins and dinnerware? And who cleans up after you? Takes away your dirty dishes? Refill your drinks?





I don't see many buffet restaurants that implement this service charge. Perhaps it's becoming a new trend to retain servers who work at buffet restaurants. I'm not sure if the service charges are going to the floor servers, but it would make sense as quite a number of people absolutely refuse to tip at buffet restaurants even if they are getting some table service as mentioned above. The fact is that these servers are making about the same hourly as full-service waiters, maybe a bit more but unlikely. It is sad that these buffet restaurants have to implement this as a way to offset the mentality of cheapskate patrons...|||My friend has a bugbear about this. One time we went to pizza hut and I left 拢1.16 as a tip and said that the waitress brought us our drinks so I'm tipping her for that but my friend said no and as an insult took back 拢1.10 and left the waitress with just 6 pence. I did think it was funny but it's not really.|||Service charge is for ALL the service given by the restaurant, not just the person serving food and drinks to your table. Who do you think cooks your food, clears your plates, washes your plates, makes sure the toilets are clean, etc etc?|||to make more money|||I dont know, but if I went to a place that did, I'd refuse to pay on those grounds, if they didnt shift there position, I'd tell everyone I know about it.





This tipping routinely is for the birds as well, I mean if I went to a place and they done a really good job with the food and the service I always give at least 10% of the value of the meal.|||they help a little bit i usually tip well at Chinese buffets because the Chinese usually don't get tipped well at all and some are slaves working to pay their way for freedom|||maybe its"here come a sucker,lets add some service on to this one"|||To make more dosh!|||It's to compensate for the non-tipping Britts.

No comments:

Post a Comment