Thursday, December 15, 2011

How much should I charge for computer service?

I have less time for doing favors for family and friends, so I want to charge them for the computer repair/services I'm often bombarded with.





The usual routine includes a fresh install of operating system, installation of anti-virus protection software, office software, cd/dvd burning software any personal software they have and making sure the system is up to date with all service packs, etc.





What is this worth in today's market?|||I located a huge directory of repair shops. http://www.findcomputerrepair.com/Hawaii-Computer-Repair.html I'd try visting a few of them and see if they can assist you.|||My cost for basic PC repair is $30 flat rate, plus parts. This assumes they bring it to my workshop. My shop doesn't charge very much because most of my techs can work on numerous PCs at once without any trouble and the average repair only takes a few minutes of actual work.





I charge $200 an hour for onsite network or server installations and configurations.





Penetration testing is handled on a per case basis.








The general exception to this is warranty service, which is done at no cost to the customer. HP, Samsung, Lexmark, etc all have contract rates for my shop.








EDIT: If you can't fix something in less than an hour without reinstalling Windows, you're not very good.|||If it's your friends and family and a cash job then remember you have to do it cheaper than the pros :-(





Definition of a professional is the person that gets paid and even tho you can do the same job you are doing it for cash :-)





Have a set price don't do the hourly rate. Fresh install 30-50 bucks|||30-40$ (depending on where you live and who the person is)


I wouldn't charge my family though, Thats kind of...not cool.


I would charge everyone, but good friends and family though.





Good friends you can ask for a solid in return. Like "hey just hook me up with dinner tonight and we will call it even" kind of thing.





I say its a good idea, go for it. My dad is a computer person and has the same problem. EVERYONE asks him to fix there computer and such which normally needs a fresh install.





Anyhow,


hope this helps, good luck|||It is always free to family. Friends I trade beer for services rendered.


If you have time to do it for money, then you have time to do it...|||Charge them, but give them a discount. This is your family we're talking about.|||I am willing to do this for free, but the usual price is $50, cheaper than Geek Squad!

No comments:

Post a Comment