Thursday, December 8, 2011

Is government tax on service charge in Thailand?

Hi,





I would like to find out the taxation in Thailand? I noticed that there are additional service charge and taxes for the hotel: 10% service charge, 7% government tax, 1% provincial tax. Is the government tax on service charge? Please advise





Thanks|||Now you know why they had a big smile on there faces when you left. I never seen a service charge on a hotel room as long as I lived here. I have seen it at some fancy restaurants but then again I don't go to fancy restaurants too often. The 7% VAT is usually included in the price of the room again I never seen it charge separately on a bill. I also never seen a provincial tax before. I am interested in what province you got charge that tax.





Welcome to the land of smiles LOS|||Interesting, I think the provincial tax may be introduced but haven't heard that they already have. It's may be equivalent to state tax in the US, aimed at using the funds locally, may be for educational purposes. I remember vaguely reading about these debates in the papers as proposed from the present Finance Minister Korn Jatikawanich, the friend of the PM (went to the same school).


Seven per cent is VAT, and 10% is service charge that I've seen in many countries. This 1% is new.|||The service charge is just that: a service charge. It's not a government tax. The more expensive restaurants and hotels charge it.


When they do, you don't have to tip. At best, round up to the nearest round figure. The tip is included in the service charge.|||Not all hotels or restaurantss charge a service charge. And those that do may not necessarilyy charge 10%. I'm not sure what you mean by provincial tax, I've never heard of it. You might find that it was or is a scam run by some eatblishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment